xx

xx

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Merry Thanksgiving! Happy Christmas!

I'm in one of those ridiculously good moods lately. The kind where you feel like you might really be annoying to other people because you are just so happy and can't really help but smile. And the weird thing about this is that it has been going on for a while. Several weeks.

I've read some great books lately. A few of them have drastically altered my perspective on life in a good way. I'm studying some stuff in various small groups and Bible studies that has really challenged me and encouraged me at the same time.

So I have to be honest here and say this: I'm having a little trouble joining in on the refusal to celebrate Christmas until the day after Thanksgiving.

There's a commonly held point of view that not one single Christmas song should be played, not a gift should be purchased, not a tree should be decorated, not a single preparation made until we have finished stuffing ourselves silly with stuffing. There's something in there about honoring Thanksgiving and not skipping the holiday.

I hear you and I understand. Sort of. It's not unreasonable. It's just not me.

Since I started The Gratitude Project last year, Thanksgiving happens all year long. I've been enjoying it for 10 months now. And I plan to enjoy it for 2 more.

See, Thanksgiving does not really interfere with Christmas or Christmas interefere with Thanksgiving for me. In fact, I love that these two holidays are tied so closely together. I love that Thanksgiving reminds us of all the great good things God has poured out on our lives, and then we have only to flip the calendar page and see the holiday that marked the birth of God's GREATEST gift to us. It makes sense to me.

I love Thanksgiving. I love Christmas. I love them together, all mixed up and tripping all over each other.

I'm going to get my tree out soon. I'm going to decorate it and then spread the holiday cheer all around my house. And then I'll break out the Christmas music and listen to people sing about the mystery born in a stable. I'm going to make Christmas craft plans. I'm going to have Reagan's birthday party amidst the Christmas decorations. I'm going to shop for gifts and wrap them up. I'm even going to get my Christmas cards totally ready to mail out ON TIME this year. Oh yes. Yes I am.

I'm going to celebrate how very thankful I am for every single day, but most of all I'm thankful for the day He came to us - to love us, to reach out to us, to lead us. To save us.

No comments: