xx

xx

Saturday, December 17, 2022

Happy 10th Birthday, Hunter!


Dear Hunter,

Today you are ten years old.  We’ve had you in our family for a whole decade.  You have certainly made the past ten years more fun, more intense and more active. 


There are certain constants in your life.  Your love of all things farming is one of them.  You read books about it and watch countless videos about it.  Out of all the tractors in the world you would pick a shiny red International 1456 over any other model.  You spend a lot of time setting up little farming scenes in your room and are very protective of those displays.  Going to Uncle Bryce’s farm for the day is something you love to do even though there aren’t any red tractors there.

Another core interest of yours is sports.  You play them all, but your favorites are basketball and baseball.  Winning the state championship with your travel baseball team was a huge highlight of the summer.  Attending basketball camp was a close second.  You love your time on the diamond or on the court.  With a seemingly endless supply of energy, you often head out to the field across the street from our house and spend time practicing catching a pop fly or throwing pitches.  When weather doesn’t cooperate you can be found playing basketball or football in the basement (which is not really a sports facility but…). 

You approach sports with a fierce sense of fairness and competitiveness.  You do not ever give half an effort when it comes to sports.  But that makes it very tough too because you care so very much.  I can see that you are learning a lot about how to be a good teammate. 

You do love a good graphic novel.  So many times, I see you curled up somewhere in the house with a Diary of a Wimpy Kid or a Dog Man book.  The best is when you come to read aloud to me a part that you find particularly funny and can barely do so because you’re laughing so hard.  I love your love of stories and silly humor.

Your absolute favorite place on earth is Grandma Vande Voort’s farm.  You love being there and wandering around outside.  Sometimes you find a small treasure somewhere.  Sometimes you practice your pitching against the side of the shed.  Sometimes you just wander around.  You still miss your Grandpa so much, but now you can talk about him with a smile on your face.  His picture still hangs right next to your bed.  And in so many ways you remind me of him – your love of farming, your love of baseball, your love of basketball, your love of silly humor, your math abilities – all of it a sweet glimpse of a man you love even still.

Your sisters are both your biggest fans and your greatest annoyance.  Sometimes you love hanging out with them and sometimes you wholeheartedly reject their teasing.  It’s a fine line and they frequently step over it.  But even when they are driving you crazy, there is a deep foundation of love.  They really do love you like crazy.  They think you’re cute (which you hate) and they want to dote on you (which you hate more).  There’s a sweet friendship there that I hope grows stronger and stronger over the years.  They love you and I know you love them too.  I’m glad the three of you have each other.


School is not difficult for you, but it isn’t always your most favorite thing.  You’d rather be in PE.  You have some awesome friends and I have been very impressed by the way they go out of their way to encourage you and support you.  I find that quite remarkable in 9-year-olds.  I’m glad to see you making good friend choices.

You love roasted potatoes, Chik Fil A, and pickups.  You love your stuffed pig named Wanda, tigers and hot cups of coffee.  You love red t-shirts, hiking in the woods and drawing pictures of aircraft carriers. 

I tucked you in the other night and you were sad.  I asked what was wrong and you told me you were afraid you were forgetting things about Grandpa.  We talked about that for a while.  I told you that some of that was normal and that our brains just can’t remember all the things that happen in our lives.  But we can remember the great love we had for people in our lives even if we can’t remember every detail.

 

As I look back on 10 years of you, that is what I cling to.  I won’t remember it all.  I won’t remember every time you made me laugh.  I won’t remember all the great plays you made in your various tournaments.  I won’t remember all the times your hand slipped into mine.  But I KNOW those things happened and happened often in the last 10 years.  And I am thankful.  I’m thankful for who you were these ten years, and I am so excited for the young man you are becoming.  You are such a treasured piece of my life.  I appreciate your presence in our home more than I can say.  So even if I don’t remember every detail, I’ll just celebrate that there was so much good. 

God has so much in store for you.  I can’t wait to cheer you on through all of it.

I love you so!

Always,

 

~Mom

 

 

 

No comments: