xx

xx

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Happy 7th Birthday, Hunter!


Dear Hunter,

Today you are seven years old.  It's amazing to look back and see the progression of our days with you.  I could have never imagined the little boy you would be that blizzarding day when we took you home from the hospital.  Here’s a little bit about seven-year-old you.

 

You love to snuggle.  We started a new thing this year where we snuggle in the morning for a few minutes when I wake you up.  That slow wake up and those quiet moments together are sweet and the perfect start to our day.  For a few years you really struggled with school anxiety.  But with some easy, small changes to the morning routines around here you seem to have kicked those worries to the curb. You go through your morning tasks almost entirely on your own and have a great attitude about school.


Not a day goes by where you don’t play with your sisters.  On any given day you might get along better with one of them.  But they are your best friends and I love that.  You love to play legos, and games and farm with them.  And generally, they love doing things with you too.  I am so thankful for the gentle way they love you with their time and attention.  What a gift those relationships will be as you grow older.




As far as school goes, you love PE, art and math.  You are also an amazing reader.  It seems like you made the jump from early readers to chapter books overnight.  You especially love Dogman and other graphic novels.  Strangely, you complain whenever it is reading time.  But in just minutes you are completely absorbed in your book.  School isn’t tough for you and I am proud of the way you put forth your best effort in your schoolwork.


You seem to be following in Maddie’s footsteps as you love to draw.  You spend many hours at our coffee table drawing pictures of tractors, sports cars, red trucks, animals, and people.  Sometimes you illustrate your own book.  You really are a good little artist. 


Playing soccer and softball with your Dad are your favorite sports activities.  It was fun to see how much you had improved with your soccer skills this fall compared to last year.  In the summer scooters and bikes and swimming give you great exercise.  You are quite the little fish!  A good waterpark is one of your favorite things.


Nothing bothers you quite as much as being teased.  You love to tease people in our family.  You are quick to jump up from your chair at the supper table and give Dad bunny ears for absolutely no reason whatsoever.  But we have learned not to tease you.  You only want people to laugh at you if you are intentionally making them laugh.  Being the youngest in the family and being the only boy presents some challenges.  While your sisters love you so much and often think you are terribly cute, you really don’t welcome that kind of doting and coddling. 


You love tigers and koalas and giraffes.  Your favorite color is red.  You’re not so into movies but you love watching videos on youtube.  You like to help me bake.  You love chocolate and Mountain Dew.  You are absolutely convinced that when you are old enough to drive you will have a black truck with black rims (a blackout).  You want to play the drums when you get older.  You hate haircuts. 


You are growing up in so many ways.


And yet…you are still my little boy.  I still find your little hand slipping into mine when we are walking.  You still climb up into my lap for devotions after supper.  Every night Dad reads a story to you and prays with you and tucks you in, but then you call for me.  I get lots of hugs. 

As much as I love those hugs, there is something about you that I love even more.  I love to hear you pray.  Every night when we take turns praying after supper, you have the sweetest prayer.  The things you pray for vary, but you always say, “Thank you for dying on the cross.”  The words Pastor Ryan spoke over you in your baptism echo in my memory.  “For you Jesus came into the world.  For you he died.  All this he did for you little one, though you know nothing of it as yet.”  But you are starting to know it.  I see the way He is shaping you, your character, your personality.  I see the way you are learning to walk in His ways – the choices you make, the truths you choose to tell, the kindnesses you show.  I see the way it is sometimes super hard for you to follow him.  Sometimes it costs you.  But in small seven-year-old ways you are doing it.  I see Him working in you.  Its my prayer that you will continue to trust Him – that you will continue to live in thankfulness for the price He paid for you. 

I love you, Hunter.  Out of all the little boys in the world, I would have chosen you.  I am so grateful God chose you for me.

Love,

Mom

No comments: