xx

xx

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Book Worm

Over the summer, I have strangely turned into a bookworm. I just decided I should read more. So I did. I read a lot. A lot a lot. Sometimes 8 or so books a month. And lest all this new reading passion go to waste, here are some recommendations and thoughts from the past 4 months (May-August).

My Nonfiction Favorites
Crazy Love by Francis Chan - awesome, challenging, inspiring, convicting
Prodigal God by Timothy Keller - insightful, eye-opening
What's So Amazing About Grace by Philip Yancey - moving, inspiring, life-changing
Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller - unbelievable, excellent, real

Other Nonfiction Reads
Forgotten God by Francis Chan
The Intimacy Factor by David and Jan Stoop
The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey
The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs
Amish Grace by Donald B. Kraybill, Steven M. Nolt, David L. Weaver-Zercher
Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen
Pilgrim At Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard
The Unlikely Discipe by Kevin Roose
Things We Couldn't Say by Diet Eman and James Schapp

My Fiction Favorites
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - gripping, haunting
The Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer (Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn) - addicting, fun
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - endearing
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen - entertaining, exciting

Other Fiction Reads
Deep River by Shusaku Endo
Mr Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange
East of Eden by John Steinbeck

So that's where I am at so far. Some of these books were not easy reads. Meaning I just flat out stubbornly refused to not finish it - but did not enjoy it that much. Some of them I have read again and again and again. Some of them have changed me and what I believe. I generally read things people, friends or pastors recommend to me. And then I occasionally read about a good one on the internet or I hear about a book on t.v. or I just stumble across something that looks interesting. At any rate this list is extremely eclectic - but its kept me quite busy. And yeah, there are a few I read that I am too embarrassed to own up to so there are a few "ghost" titles in the mix here too. Needless to say, my library card gets some good use!

2 comments:

Sherri said...

This is awesome! I love to read! Thanks for the list!

shartson said...

I love to read too, so it's good to see some other titles in there. I just got done reading Like Dandelion Dust by Karen Kingsbury. It's coming out in a movie the end of September and I wanted to read it first before seeing the movie. For a fiction read, it's pretty good. :) I think it's time for me to pick up Crazy Love again. Love that book, but so many good things I didn't remember it all!