xx

xx

Monday, September 17, 2007

This is all very familiar

The last time we felt this way, this is what was happening:

I was induced at 6 AM on a Tuesday. After a LONG labor, I was taken to surgery for a c-section. We had both been up for the better part of 24 hours. And after all this - we were handed a little baby. This little baby cried every 3-4 hours in the middle of the night. We were so tired.

This weekend, this is what happened:

Hubby played on the marathon team - requiring him to stay up for 24 hours. Reagan and I were home alone. Reagan began fighting what we have decided is likely another ear infection. She cried every 2 hours in the middle of the night. We are ALL so tired.

Fortunately, I feel much more alive than I did in the days post-hospitalization and am able to at least be of some use. And also fortunately, Reagan is quite pleasant during the day - she plays well and seems to be pretty comfortable. And though Hubby had a good time and survived the freezing temperatures, he is glad to be home and is getting back to normal.

Sometimes its just so hard to be thankful for those long sleepless nights. We have been so spoiled with Reagan's "normal" sleep schedule that any return to the days of yore has us reeling.

I have said it before - nothing taught me the value of a two-parent home as much as when we brought Reagan home. I re-learned that lesson Friday night when Reagan would not sleep and Hubby was not home to relieve me.

I am spoiled. I know of few other men who would so graciously, thoughtfully and generously offer to get up with the screaming baby as often as Hubby does. When she screams at 12:19 AM, Hubby is the first to jump up, put on his glasses and carry her little body over to the recliner. The two of them get snuggled up in a blanket and he comforts her while she fights to get back to sleep. So I'm spoiled. I know it. And I appreciate it so so much!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, yeah, you're spoiled!!! Steve never hears a thing. Or at least, claims he doesn't. humph. Anyway, I agree with that - "reeling about the days of yore" - Bennett has had a few ear infections too, and whenever he feels yucky, the nights are rough.
Well I hope you can catch up on your sleep real soon - and that Reagan's ear clears up quickly!