xx

xx

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Finding a Place


Hunter is in kindergarten.  I saw this coming pretty clearly as he zippity-do-dahed his way through preschool last year.  I knew he would be attending school three full days a week to start, eventually adding a day and then another day till he would be full time. 

Brian occasionally asked me, “So…just curious…what are you going to do with all your time when he’s at school.”  I would mumble something about writing a book or doing what I normally did every day – both which would be just fine things to do.  But even I knew that staying home all day with no kids would probably start to drive me crazy. 

Whenever I considered getting a job, there was one hurdle I couldn’t clear: what about the summers?  The question haunted me.  Yes, I could go get a job.  That did not seem like something that would be problematic for me.  But most jobs would mean working during Christmas break, spring break, and summer break.  And that was not okay with me. 

Since the day I began staying home when Maddie was born, I became one super committed stay-at-home momma.  My world revolves around these kiddos of mine.  I could not in good conscience take a job that would cause me to miss time with them.

This left me only one really good option – work at school.  I am not a teacher so that’s out of the question.  But when a possible position in the food service became available I had to stop and think about it.  I wasn’t sure if it would be the right fit.  I wasn’t sure I would like being a cook.  I wasn’t sure if I would find the work fulfilling.  I just wasn’t sure.  But I did know it was something I could do and something that would give me just the amount of hours I was hoping for.  So I applied.  I interviewed.  I got the job offer for two days each week with a third day every other week.  I accepted.

I went all summer feeling uncertain but hopeful.

Here’s the thing.  I have a college degree.  I have many years of experience in the legal field.  I am really really good in an office environment.  I can organize, type, file, compose, troubleshoot, and meet with clients like nobody’s business.  I really enjoyed my 9 years working in law firms.  Cooking…well…yeah, its okay. 

Here’s another thing.  Growing up, I was a total nightmare for my poor school cook.  I ate almost none of the main dishes she made.  She made me a bread and butter sandwich each day because I would not eat a peanut butter sandwich.  I was that picky.  It was bad.  I felt bad about constantly turning her down but I just could not make myself eat much of a variety of foods.  So karma might be an issue.

Friends, I have worked in the kitchen at Pella Christian Grade School for 6 weeks now.  I cook the food.  I prep the fruit.  I clean the counters.  I mop the floors.  I serve the kids as they come through the lunch line.  I smile at them and tell them to have a great day.  I joke with a few of them.  I help wash a few dishes.  I put clean items away.  And I love – absolutely LOVE – every minute of it. 

I’m guessing a large part of this is because I love the people I am working with.  They are gems – every one of them.  I absolutely delight in spending time with them.  They are a joy and an encouragement to me each and every day that I work.  We laugh, we talk, but we also work hard. 
Another large part of this is because I see my kids several times a day.  I see each of them at lunch – whether or not they eat the hot lunch or not.  I have time to go find them and give them a squeeze.  My middle schooler stops by the kitchen to say hi, give me a hug and tell me about her day.  They know right where to find me.

I find it amazing how God points us in certain directions and we sometimes stand there and say, “Uh, are you sure about this?”  It’s awesome how He knows just what we need. 

Each day, when those first few kids come through the door with their trays, I feel a sense of joy sweep over me.  It’s like He is saying, “See!  You didn’t know how much you would love this but I did!  I knew this was going to be perfect for you!” 

I’m pretty sure I am enjoying this job more than I have ever enjoyed any other job I have ever had.  And I’m deeply grateful that I get to do what I do.  To me, it’s so much more than opening cans of mandarin oranges or putting chicken patties in the oven.  It’s about being a small piece of a community that works so tirelessly to bless and care for 400+ children each and every day.  And there is nowhere else I would rather be.


No comments: