xx

xx

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008

This is my second attempt at a 2008-wrap-up-post. That first one, it was ugly...and really boring. It has been appropriate filed in the-most-boring-posts-ever folder on my computer.

First, I have a confession to make: I have a small problem with scaring myself silly by letting my mind wander and vividly picturing all sorts of really disturbing events that will most likely never happen (please, Lord). So last night, one of those waking nightmares overtook me. And as I prayed for God to take the images away, I said, “Lord, there’s a lot of nasty stuff in this world, isn’t there? Thank you for protecting me from it.”

It seems a little ridiculous to say such an obvious thing - that comparatively speak, my life is wonderful. I mean, I do not know what it is like to be religiously persecuted, to suffer a major health problem, to battle with a mental disease (why fight my kind of crazy?) or to have serious financial strain. Truly, there were bad things that happened in 2008 - not the least of which was the loss of our nephew to stillbirth. But...

One of my friends is very good at gently reminding me that God is good. All. The. Time. That seems most challenging when bad things happen - but somehow it also seems the most reassuring. It would be far worse to hear her say “God is good...most of the time” or “Sometimes, God makes a mistake”. That would be deeply unsettling. But she doesn’t say that. Instead she quietly reminds me that God is good every single second of every single day and that nothing is a mistake or a lack of consideration on his part.

Sometimes, when life is good and I can sit back and say, “Wow, everything is going so well right now” - and put life on autopilot. I forget to be thankful. I could sit here and list all of the ways in which he has been good to me this year - the list would include sad things and happy things. But you’ve walked most of the 2008 road with me, so it would all be a bit repetitious. Instead, let me add my voice to the chorus of those saying “God is good.”

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be your name.

Thank you for a wonderful year, Lord. Thank you for seeing me through ups and downs. Thank you for being a God who loves so deeply, who sees each tear that falls, who gives good gifts I do not deserve. Thank you for your protection and care in every situation. Thank you for your provision and gentle guidance. Thank you for being good all the time. Blessed be your name. Amen.

No comments: